The required knowledge, skills & attitude necessary to perform the duties & tasks of a field operator, so that they can plan & manage Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA) field operations in accordance with International Mine Action Standards (IMAS) and the recognised National Mine Authority (NMA).
Level of competency training meets IMAS (http://www.mineactionstandards.org/) Level 2 Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) criteria. There are no pre-requisites for attendance on this course.
Included in the syllabus
- History of Landmines & Mine Warfare: Ref GICHD (http://www.gichd.org/) Guides to Mine Action (MA), Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) & the Study of Manual Mine Clearance.
- History of Mine Action & Intro to HMA: Including the 5 pillars of MA & their core activities.
- HMA Standards: Introduction into standards, including IMAS which follow the international Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) definition of standards. NMA Technical Standards & Guidelines (TSG’s) & Organisations Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Information Management System Mine Action (IMSMA): Introduction into IMSMA as a management tool, IMSMA reporting & GIS mapping system & Global Positioning System (GPS).
- Landmines: Ref JSP 364 EOD Manual & Jane’s Manual. Types, components, functioning actions, firing mechanisms & fuses of landmines. Minefield laying and doctrine.
- General Mine Action Assessment, Landmine Impact Survey & Needs Assessment: Socio-economic approach to MA planning & management. General intro, aims, data analysis. Socio-economic & developmental approach.
- Mine Risk Education (MRE) & Community Liaison: MRE best practices. MRE goals & activities. Roles of MRE & links with other MA activities. Target groups & implementation strategies.
- Minefield Marking: Setting out, marking & mapping. On-site requirements, admin areas, safety distances and medical. Practical exercises which plan the layout of the minefield.
- Manual Demining: Intro into manual mine clearance & operational systems in manual mine clearance, detection technologies & systems for humanitarian demining, minelab F3, mine action team composition, equipment, manual demining drills, with practical demonstrations & training. Types of detection & locating equipment used in HMA. Electronic detection drill using minelab F3, with practical demo & user training syllabus.
- Technical Survey: IMSMA impact survey, dangerous area, technical survey report. Process overview, area reduction, survey planning theory, area reduction , practical technical survey training, fencing & mapping., IMSMA reporting.
- Clearance: Mechanical assets and their application in demining. Intro into detection technologies & systems for humanitarian demining. Clearance resources, clearance methodology & integrated approach. Mechanical intro, types of machines used in MA. Mini flail practical demo. Other detection methods, REST, Rats, GPR.
- Minefield Management: IMSMA reports. Documentation, task dossier’s, briefing board with clearance master map & trace. Medical requirements, casevac drills. Daily routine, supervisor’s checks, internal QA, briefings & visitors. Recording & reporting requirements & practical training.
- UXO Recognition: Ref IMAS 09.30, JSP 364 EOD Manual & relevant EOD publications. UXO recognition, generic aids to identification of UXO, projectiles, mortars, rockets, grenades, up to 84mm (IMAS EOD Level 2). Submunitions, area denial munitions, landmines, anti personnel & anti tank mines.
- Demolitions & Use of Explosives: Ref IMAS 10.50, 11.20, ME Volume II Pam 4, Demolitions, JSP 364 EOD Manual. Explosive storage & transportation rules & regulations. Types of explosives & accessories. initiation sets, (electrical, non electrical). Single item disposal techniques. Demolition safety rules. Practical demolition training, (using drill and training aids “NO LIVE”). Live demolition training (to IMAS EOD level 2 criteria).
- Minefield Management: IMSMA Quality Assurance (QA) forms. Accident reporting & investigation. External QA & Quality Control (QC).
- Clearance: IMSMA Clearance, suspension & completion report. Initial clearance plan info & report & exercise. Practical clearance training. Actions on drills, casevac exercise. Clearance completion marking & reporting, land sampling QC, handover procedures & post clearance documentation & activities.
- Task site Planning: Prioritisation & beneficiary details. Collecting data constants, man hours/ day calculations.
Confirmatory Exercises & Formal Tests
- Basic UXO recognition & identification tests
- Single item disposal techniques assessment (IMAS Level 2 EOD Standard)
- Demolition initiation set fault finding test